This is my Libeth cosplay that I wore last month to Anime Central. It's also the first costume I made using a pattern. D:. (Warning, a bit of a rant about the process ahead)
I HATE patterns. They just don't run big enough, and even though they're supposed to make things easier, they don't. Their numbers don't match a person of the size they state perfectly, so they need to be adjusted. Which takes FOREVER. And try not being able to find the patterns that go up past size 18, for some reason. .__.;. It's like everyone bought up all the bigger patterns, or something. Anyway, having to work off a pattern that only went up to size 16 was super difficult. D:. It took me about a month or so to size the damn thing up. And that was just the start. I made the bodice successfully, but then due to not having a sleeve pattern (I wanted princess seams, and a super cheap pattern had them AND a detachable collar, so I thought I'd use it anyway, and figure out sleeves), I had to make my own sleeve pattern and caps. I made the caps following a drawing, and other than sizing, they weren't too hard. Or so I thought. Upon attaching them to the bodice, I realized that the bodice was too wide at the shoulders. I then had to alter it, using advice from a cosplay.com member. Then it came time to attaching the rest of the sleeve. Since I didn't have a pattern, I had to craft my own. I tried making one using a tutorial, but ultimately got sick of it, and just traced the sleeves of a shirt I owned.
I then made the collar (patternless again, because the one that came with the pattern wasn't working for me), which honestly wasn't that hard once it was explained to me on cosplay.com. I just traced around one, and sized it to fit my cosplay, and followed a youtube tutorial to get it right. Then came the white... thing (is there a word for it?) on the front. It came out well, at first. Only to realize it wasn't long enough, or something. I had to make another one, which just annoyed the heck of me some more. D:. By the way, even though it doesn't look like it, the white part is long enough. It comes down under my chest when I stand, as it should. It just moved for some reason when I did this pose.
The cuffs were easy, so I'll skip that.
And this was just the first half. The second was equally as frustrating.
I think it was at this point that I just decided I'd buy pre-gathered lace. It wasn't a special shape or anything, so I figured it'd be OK.
When it came time to make the skirt, I found out that the pattern that I bought was the right shape, but would never EVER had worked due to it being a circle skirt and circle skirts being finicky with the way they're upsized. D:. So I had to find a tutorial for that, and even then, it took awhile to find one that just directly offered numbers. I made my first mockup, and found it worked perfectly. But then found out pleats require like double the material, so it was back to the drawing board. >_<;.
I was then able to make the apron, which was actually pretty easy. I had started it slightly before I made the skirt (I ran out of red, so I did that in the meantime), and finished it only about a week ahead of time. This was the only time where the pattern worked as it was supposed to. >_<;.
The bow was absolutely last, and was super easy. The brooch in the middle was made with sculpy and a gem from a pack of gems I bought online.
I styled the wig about a day before the con. I couldn't get those flippy ends on her hair no matter what I did (without exposing the mesh), so I just did what I could and tried to make it as close as I could. I couldn't buy the premade one either (my head is WAY too big for the premade ones..), so I just had to do what I could.
The boots I bought first, and had to wait like 2 months for them. And they were too tight when I got them. .__.;. Size 12 shoes are usually wide enough without wide width, so I just ordered regular size. And the numbers they gave insinuated they should have BEEN wide enough, but they weren't. I tried stretching them using shoe stretchers, and it helped. But when I put them on, they hurt big time. D:. They were STILL too tight. By the end of the con, my toes were numb. I was afraid I'd killed them for good. Luckily, I didn't. I'm now looking and hoping someone else puts shoes up like this on Ebay or something, because if I cosplay her again, I do NOT want to deal with that.
I did the arrows last. They are there, they just can't be seen. And I think I may have missed a set, or something. Some pictures show two sets on each sleeve, and some show one. I'm not sure which it is. >_<;. And it looked as if they were in the middle of the sleeve as opposed to the front, so that's how I did it. I don't know why the front of them can't be seen, as I did sew them where they were supposed to go. D:.
The last thing I did was the mace, which was completed the day before the con. Yay. You can't see it here, but that's what I'm holding.
Anyway, regardless of complaints, I am SUPER proud of this. I made it myself, and it looks and fits as it should. It looks distorted due to the pose here (the right side looks baggy here, and the white part on the chest looks short, but they aren't. I swear! >_<;.), but it isn't, really. It came out as best as it could, given the fact the only other thing I made were some pumpkin pants, and an altered shirt.
Oh.. and forgive the red thing around my boot. It was like 9 pm Saturday night, and that thing just wouldn't stay up anymore. I have to fix it for the next time I wear it.
I just hope now that I know how to do it, that the next one I make goes a lot more smoothly.
Oh.. and if you have my picture from ACen, PLEASE show me. I want to know how they came out. They have to be better than this, where I have a weird expression. >_<;